Let the Kids Go Wild this Summer
Dusty’s Wildlife Rangers at UK Wetland Centres
Children of all ages can join Dusty Duck, pick up their very own log book and become real-life wildlife rangers at WWT Wetland Centres across the UK this summer holiday.
A full day of discovery and adventure awaits families with a wide variety of wildlife ranger activities being held at our nine UK centres including:
- Wetland camp survival – learn outdoor survival skills with our expert wetland rangers, with everything from den building to whittling and starting fires without matches
- Ranger training – track animals and learn how to be a ranger by going on an expert-led mini safari on our wild reserves
- Wildlife recording – follow the 4 essential W’s (what, where, when and who) of wildlife recording like a professional ranger
- Tribal Tracks – join our tribe at our wetland tepees. Make natural headdresses and follow footprints and other clues to track a mystery animal
- Geocache trails – find secret locations around our reserve
- Make your own wildlife movie – become a nature documentary maker and film your own wildlife movie and enter it into our competition
- Canoe safaris – paddle through beautiful waterways and come face to face with kingfishers, water voles, dragonflies and other wetland wonders
- Mini raft building – make your own raft from wetland materials and see how long it will float
- Pond exploring – discover what lies beneath the waters of a pond? Grab a net and find out!
- …and lots, lots more
Children can write about, draw and record their findings and experiences in their log books, just like our rangers do, as a permanent reminder of their wild day out.
Activities vary between centres, click on wwt.org.uk/wildliferangers for details of all the Dusty’s Wildlife Rangers activities taking place at each of our Wetland Centres and do something a little bit different this summer holiday.
Scott Petrek, one of WWT’s real life wildlife rangers said:
“I love being a wildlife ranger for WWT and helping to care for and protect our amazing wetland animals. We thought families would welcome the chance to experience what it’s like to be a ranger through a series of fun-packed, mini adventures, including activities that I do as part of my day to day job. Hopefully, we’ll also inspire some of our younger visitors to become the wildlife rangers of the future, helping to create a world where healthy wetland nature thrives and enriches lives.”
As well as Dusty’s Wildlife Rangers, WWT Wetland Centres also have a range of other family activities during the summer holidays, including our amazing giant LEGO® brick animal trail (at WWT Caerlaverock, Scotland and WWT Welney, Norfolk), the Celebrity Dusty Duck trail (at WWT Castle Espie, Northern Ireland), and Giant Top Trumps (at WWT Martin Mere, Lancashire). For a full range of summer holiday activities at your nearest WWT Wetland Centre click here: wwt.org.uk/visit
We have nine WWT Wetland Centres across the UK at Arundel (Hampshire), Caerlaverock (nr Dumfries, Scotland), Castle Espie (County Down, Northern Ireland), Llanelli (Carmarthenshire, Wales), London (at Barnes), Martin Mere (Lancashire), Slimbridge (Gloucestershire), Washington (Tyne & Wear) and Welney (Norfolk).
WWT Wetland Centres
A whole new world of award-winning discovery awaits you at our WWT Wetland Centres. You can get close to amazing wildlife, such as otters and flamingos, take exciting boat safaris through water meadows and reeds, hand feed exotic birds and see some of the world’s most dramatic and rare birds all in one place. Added to this are exhilarating adventure playgrounds, special events, waterside cafes serving delicious homemade food and shops with unique gifts.
All WWT Wetland Centres are fully accessible with buggy and wheelchair friendly pathways, comfortable hides and disabled and parent & baby facilities.